A protection zone (called PZ for short) is an area where you can feel safe, rest after a long hunt and hide from any dangers lurking in the lands of Tibia. Players who recently attacked other players (marked with a white or yellow skull) cannot enter a protection zone. Monsters and creatures (spawned, summoned or convinced) and Mounts are not allowed to enter protection zones either.
Since Update 9.52 characters can now always log out in a protection zone regardless of whether or not the Logout Block is active. Even though it disappears it will still be applied to your character, which means that you will receive the battle icon again if you leave the protection zone too early. You cannot leave a party in this case but you can logout to leave it.
You can find protection zones in the following places:
- Town Temples;
- Boats, Steamships, Magic Carpets, Sea Turtles, Ore Wagons;
- Swimming Zones;
- Training Schools;
- Large parts of the Duelling Arenas;
- All rentable buildings (houses, flats, pyramids and guildhalls);
- All above-ground levels of Ankrahmun pyramids;
- Many destinations of teleporters that are inside protection zones;
- Every teleport that leads to a protection zone (to avoid PvP weakness);
- All teleporters themselves;
- Some other special places (Paradox Tower, Krailos Village, the Lion's Den, teleporter deep under Razzachai, a grave on the Plains of Havoc (here), most of the Last Creep Standing area, the reward area of Devovorga's lair).
While you are within a protection zone there are some actions you cannot do:
- attack any other player or monster using your melee or distance fighting skills;
- use attack or field runes;
- use attack or summon spells;
- push other players out from a protection zone;
- regain mana or hitpoints (including regeneration from Recovery-based spells);
- open a closed trap.
Even though you are within a protection zone you can do following things:
- use healing or support runes;
- use healing, support or supply spells;
- die if you were poisoned, electrified, burning, cursed, dazzled, drowning or freezing.
Whenever you try to do something that is not allowed in a protection zone a white message will appear:
"This action is not permitted in a protection zone".
You can't enter a protection zone if you have done one of the followning things:
- attacked a player (if he is in a party with you, both can enter the protection zone);
- attacked a skulled player that hadn't attacked you;
- used a field rune;
- used a Desintegrate Rune.
As stated above, you cannot fight while in a protection zone. You can, however, shoot runes, spells or ammunition through it. Still, you cannot target your attack on anyone who is inside a protection zone or set any fields there from outside of it.
A player with the rights to close a house door can push a player out of a protection zone that way. Owners and sub-owners can also use the alana sio spell. Premium players can sleep in a protection zone and thus regain their mana and hitpoints.