Paladins are masters of long-range combat, well-balanced between weapons and magic. They utilize bows, crossbows and spears to a deadly effect. They advance very fast in distance fighting and are quite capable in magic as well.
Paladins are not severely lacking in any area, but destroying enemies from afar with ranged weapons is what they do best.
- Arguably the best single target damage capabilities out of all classes
- Paladins can often hunt certain monsters at a lower level than other classes because of their high damage and long range
- Paladins are cost-efficient and tend to be easy to profit with
- Paladins advance very quickly in distance fighting, even faster than knights do in melee skills
- Paladins advance quickly in shielding (at the same rate as knights)
- Paladins advance quite fast in melee skills (slower than knights, but faster than sorcerers and druids), making melee combat a possible alternative when out of ammunition, though it's likely viable only at a lower level
- More capacity than sorcerers and druids
- More hitpoints and faster regeneration than sorcerers and druids
- More mana and faster regeneration than knights
- Faster advancement in magic level than knights
- Access to a robust set of spells and two types of support runes
- They can use potions that restore both health and mana simultaneously
- Paladins focus on single target damage and have a limited ability to deal damage to multiple targets at once
- Paladins are long-range fighters, but, unlike sorcerers and druids, they suffer from decreased accuracy when attacking enemies within melee range. Because of that, their fighting style consists of running around and shooting. Depending on the environment that might be problematic and also not to everyone's liking
- Paladins cannot hunt without ammunition and large amounts of it take up a lot of carrying capacity
- Paladins have trouble hunting creatures resistant to physical damage. Even though they have access to holy damage abilities, most of their damage dealt is physical
- Less capacity than knights
- Less mana and slower regeneration than sorcerers and druids
- Less hitpoints and slower regeneration than knights
- Slower advancement in magic level than sorcerers and druids
Advancement and regeneration
Stat increase per level
Royal paladins regenerate:
When a paladin reaches level 20, they can purchase a promotion and become a royal paladin with certain benefits.
The most important spells to a paladin are:
- Light Healing (main healing spell)
- Divine Healing (desperate healing spell)
- Salvation (desperate healing spell)
- Divine Missile (main attack spell)
- Ethereal Spear (secondary attack spell, use on holy-immune, physically-weak or running monsters)
Other useful spells every paladin should learn are:
Lesser useful spells:
- Recovery (efficient heal over time)
- Intense Recovery (efficient heal over time)
- Intense Healing (useful until you learn Divine Healing)
- Cure Curse (enables hunting e.g. Ghastly Dragons)
Most other spells are never used. Paladins can create ammunition, but the preferred way to get it is from NPCs.
See also: Paladin Set
Paladins generally look for as much distance fighting boosts as possible.
Paladins do not get access to magic level or melee boosting equipment (except for melee skill rings which are applicable to all vocations).
As for resistances, the high-end paladin equipment contains a lot of death resistance. Otherwise, paladins are limited to very few pieces of armor that resist elements. These items are usually very expensive and not available to the average paladin. They have a few pieces of physical resistance (most notably Zaoan and Dwarven pieces) which can be used for blocking.
Hunting as a paladin is simple in comparison to other vocations.
- Paladins are distance fighters. Paladins do not stand in close combat. They use the environment and run from their enemies. Fighting in melee reduces their hit rate and makes them more vulnerable. They may make use of Field Runes to help distance themselves from enemies.
- Paladins are single-target fighters. Paladins have no efficient area attacks to use and for this reason they usually do not do well in dense hunting grounds. One of the main drawbacks of paladins.
- Paladins are physical fighters. Paladins have elemental arrows and their main spell element is holy, but they are primarily physical fighters.
- Paladins are efficient. Paladins have decent healing/gp ratios and high damage/gp ratios.
- Paladins are decent blockers. Although they lack the ability to challenge, many monsters' retargeting behaviors permit a paladin to substitute a knight. Paladins have less health than knights but can also heal more efficiently than knights where druids are not present. Paladins also miss out on some knight-only blocking equipment.
- Paladins have strong healing capabilities. Although not nearly as strong as a druid's, paladins can combine Strong Health Potion (or Great Spirit Potion) (200-400hp) and Salvation (varying with level and magic level, but usually 400-700hp) in the same turn.
Do not train on Rookgaard. A common mistake by new paladins. When on the mainland, skills will go up faster. It is much more efficient to use melee on Rookgaard to get to the mainland as quick as possible. It is a good idea to train at the Isle of Destiny because you will gain the skill rate increase when you receive a vocation, the trolls drop spears and the cave is usually empty.
Distance fighting increases faster than a knight's melee skills because hitting creatures ("bloodhits") contribute as well. However, training distance can be expensive as ammunition is required to train distance. Small Stones are generally used for their low attack value.
Many paladins choose to not train at all, and this has lesser consequences than a knight because a paladin will gain more skills by hunting than a knight will.
Although paladins are distance fighters, shielding can help in the case that melee cannot be avoided. Training shielding is the same as for knights (see Shielding).
Paladins may have problems training shielding at higher distance levels. In this case, paladins can either try a new creature or a different means of attacking (melee).
Note that your shielding does not apply if you are wielding a two-handed weapon, such as a crossbow.
While magic level is not as important to a Paladin as it would be to a Druid or Sorcerer, a Paladin with a good magic level can deal a fair amount of damage with a relatively low cooldown time, especially to creatures who are weak to Holy damage. A paladin will gain from magic level in all healing spells and in holy-based attack spells Divine Missile and Divine Caldera. Most other spells will not receive a substantial boost, including Ethereal Spear (mostly dependent on distance fighting).
The best way to train magic level for paladins (indeed for any vocation) is to hunt. Use Divine Missile or Ethereal Spear every turn in a battle; not only are they efficient but they increase your experience rates and may count for 20-50% of your spent mana. Experiment with different creatures to determine which are not wasteful to hunt and which of those contributes the most to magic level.
Pages of Particular Interest to Paladins
- Paladin's Hunting places
- Offensive Fighting
- Balanced Fighting
- Defensive Fighting
- Paladin Guild Leader NPCs
- Armor Shopkeeper NPCs
- Magic Shopkeeper NPCs
- Fletcher NPCs
- Equipment Shopkeeper NPCs
|Arrow Call||exevo infir con||✗||1||10||0||Support||Creates 3 Simple Arrows.|
|Cancel Invisibility||exana ina||✓||26||200||1600||Support||Makes invisible creatures/players visible again.|
|Conjure Arrow||exevo con||✗||13||100||450||Support||Creates 10 Arrows.|
|Conjure Diamond Arrow||exevo gran con hur||✓||150||1000||15000||Support||Creates 100 Diamond Arrows.|
|Conjure Explosive Arrow||exevo con flam||✗||25||290||1000||Support||Creates 8 Burst Arrows.|
|Conjure Spectral Bolt||exevo gran con vis||✓||150||1000||15000||Support||Creates 100 Spectral Bolts.|
|Cure Curse||exana mort||✓||80||40||6000||Healing||Cures the Cursed condition.|
|Cure Poison||exana pox||✗||10||30||150||Healing||Cures the status of being poisoned.|
|Divine Caldera||exevo mas san||✓||50||160||3000||Attack||Causes Holy Damage in a 3 tile radius from the caster (area effect).|
|Divine Healing||exura san||✗||35||160||3000||Healing||Restores a great amount of health to the target. This spell when used will also cure paralysis.|
|Divine Missile||exori san||✓||40||20||1800||Attack||Causes Holy Damage focused on the square directly in front of the caster, or hits a target at a distance of up to 4 square meters away.|
|Enchant Spear||exeta con||✓||45||350||2000||Support||Turns one ordinary Spear into an Enchanted Spear. You need to have at least one ordinary spear in your backpack to make one.|
|Ethereal Spear||exori con||✓||23||25||1100||Attack||Attacks the target causing Physical Damage.|
|Find Person||exiva "NAME"||✗||8||20||80||Support||Tells you which direction a certain player is, relative to you, and a rough idea of the distance.|
|Great Light||utevo gran lux||✗||13||60||500||Support||Provides illumination in a 4 tile radius around the caster (area effect). Duration is 11 minutes, 35 seconds.|
|Haste||utani hur||✓||14||60||600||Support||Increases Speed. (Consult the Formula page to determine the enhancement.) Duration is 31 seconds. Cures paralysis.|
|Holy Flash||utori san||✓||70||30||7500||Attack||It deals Holy Damage over time.|
|Intense Healing||exura gran||✗||20||70||350||Healing||Restores a medium amount of health to the target. (Cures paralysis.)|
|Intense Recovery||utura gran||✓||100||165||10000||Healing||A healing effect in intervals over time that heals 40 health points every 3 seconds for 60 seconds (total of 800 health points).|
|Levitate|| exani hur up|
exani hur down
|✓||12||50||500||Support||Permits vertical movement via levitation, up or down one level.|
|Light||utevo lux||✗||8||20||0||Support||Provides illumination in a 3 tile radius around the caster (area effect). Duration is 6 minutes, 10 seconds.|
|Light Healing||exura||✗||8||20||0||Healing||Restores a small amount of health. (Cures paralysis.)|
|Magic Patch||exura infir||✗||1||6||0||Healing||Restores a small amount of health. (Cures paralysis)|
|Magic Rope||exani tera||✓||9||20||200||Support||Teleports you up through a hole when you are standing in a rope spot.|
|Protect Party||utamo mas sio||✓||32||Varies||4000||Support||The Protect Party spell will raise the shielding by 3 for 2 minutes for every party member standing on one of these fields.|
|Recovery||utura||✓||50||75||4000||Healing||A healing effect in intervals over time. that heals 20 health points every 3 seconds for 60 seconds (total of 400 health points).|
|Salvation||exura gran san||✓||60||210||8000||Healing||Heals a huge amount of hitpoints.|
|Sharpshooter||utito tempo san||✓||60||450||8000||Support||Increases the distance skill of the paladin by 50% for 10 seconds. While the spell is in effect, the paladin's speed is reduced by 70%, they cannot cast healing, support or supply spells.|
|Strong Ethereal Spear||exori gran con||✓||90||55||10000||Attack||A strong version of the Ethereal Spear spell.|
|Summon Emberwing||utevo gran res sac||✓||200||2000||50000||Support||Summons an Emberwing which lasts 15 minutes.|
|Swift Foot||utamo tempo san||✓||55||400||6000||Support||Increases the paladin's speed by 80% for 10 seconds, they however can not attack or use attack spells during this time.|
Note: These spells were buyable in the past from spell scrolls, some older paladins still have them.
|Energy Beam||exevo vis lux||✗||23||40||1000||Attack||Shoots a 5 tile long beam in front of the caster.|
|Great Energy Beam||exevo gran vis lux||✗||29||110||1800||Attack||Shoots a strong beam 8 squares infront of caster.|
|Summon Creature||utevo res "creature name"||✗||25||varies||2000||Support||Summons a creature to help you.|
|Destroy Field||adito grav||✗||17||120||700||Support||Makes 3 Destroy Field Runes (requiring 1 Blank Rune). Destroys fire, poison and energy fields, from any distance as long there's nothing blocking the path.|
|Disintegrate||adito tera||✓||21||200||900||Support||Makes 3 Disintegrate Runes (requiring 1 Blank Rune). Destroys movable objects.|
|Holy Missile||adori san||✓||27||300||1600||Support||Makes 5 Holy Missile Runes (requiring 1 Blank Rune). Shoots an attack that inflicts Holy Damage.|
Possible Hotkey Assignments
If you are having trouble with too many hotkeys to remember, then the following table may be useful for you. It provides an organized set of hotkey assignments for the most commonly used spells for this vocation.
This table is only an idea to help you build your own set of hotkeys, you obviously do not need to use these key assignments if you do not want to. See the page on Hotkeys for a blank template.
You can also print this table out and place it above your keyboard as a quick-reference. Make sure you print "landscape" instead of "profile", or you will not print the entire table.
|exura gran san||exura san||
|exura||utito tempo san||exori san||exori con||exori gran con||Great Spirit Potion||Strong Mana Potion||Utani hur||
Exevo mas san
|SHIFT+||Great Light.||Antidote.||Food.||Find Person.||Explosive Arrow.||Power Bolt.||Levitate Down.||Magic Rope.||Powerful|
|Missing Spells:||A lot.|
|Missing Runes:||A lot.|
See also: Paladin Template