Best High-Level Set
This is the best set of equipment for high-level Paladins. The set includes Elite Draken Helmet, Depth Lorica, which can be replaced with Master Archer's Armor, Prismatic Legs, which can be replaced with Yalahari Leg Piece, Prismatic Boots which can be replaced with Boots of Haste or Soft Boots. Umbral Bow or a Umbral Master Bow (with cheaper alternatives of Warsinger Bow or a Mycological Bow) combined with Crystalline Arrows offers the best range, hit chance, average damage and cost-efficiency. However, a Thorn Spitter or a Umbral Master Crossbow (with Royal Crossbow being the cheap alternative) while using Prismatic Bolts or Infernal Bolts will offer higher maximum damage. For defense, Assassin Stars and a shield would be used.
Best defensive high-level set
This set is arguably the best for high-hitting physical creatures. Prismatic Armor provides 5% physical resistance at a loss of 0-2 armor points. Magic Plate Armor is the best defense-wise ignoring that. Assassin Stars can be replaced with a melee weapon for the added defense value, at a loss of attack power.
Note the similarities to the ultimate paladin offensive set, giving paladins a niche for blocking death attacks. Combined with the Cure Curse spell, paladins become the only vocation able to dispatch monsters such as Ghastly Dragons with impunity.
Alternatives to this set are:
- Depth Lorica - in most scenarios the loss of 5% death resistance is well worth the +3 to distance fighting.
- Koshei's Ancient Amulet - the Stone Skin Amulet is a superior option for death resistance, but with just 5 charges of physical and death protection its use is costly.
Physical and death defense are a paladin's forte. For these elements, see the above sections. They have few options for blocking other elements, and they are usually charge-based necklaces/rings, very rare, or worn in the Armor slot. The non-limited items are:
- Energy Damage: Voltage Armor (3%)
- Ice Damage: Frozen Plate (7%), Crystalline Armor (3%)
- Earth Damage: Swamplair Armor (3%)
- Fire Damage: Molten Plate (7%), Lavos Armor (3%)
Defensive mid-level sets
This set is designed for the level ranges of 30-79. This set is the best possible for a defensive paladin, but is obviously too expensive for most players in this level range. Affordable downgrades include:
- Zaoan Helmet can be replaced by Demon Helmet or Royal Helmet.
- Magic Plate Armor can be replaced by Dwarven Armor or Paladin Armor.
- Dwarven Legs can be replaced by Zaoan Legs.
- Golden Boots can be replaced by Steel Boots or Boots of Haste.
- Nightmare Shield can be replaced by Mastermind Shield or Demon Shield
Lightweight low-level sets
This set is designed for typically low-level paladins who need the capacity for spears and/or ammunition. Pairs of Soft Boots are too expensive for most in this level range, and can be replaced by Boots of Haste or simple Leather Boots (the alternative, Steel Boots, are incredibly heavy).
Demon Helmet has no real competitors here, but Skull Helmet or Royal Helmet may be a more cost-efficient helmet to purchase, as there is a reasonable NPC price for these. Blue Robe can be replaced by Mammoth Fur Cape or, if the paladin needs distance skill, Paladin Armor
See also other Sets.