Tibia has fourteen towns, some of them being a hometown. A hometown is the town you respawn in after you have died. Your first hometown in Tibia is Rookgaard. When you are level 8 or higher and leave Rookgaard you will be asked, by The Oracle, to go to Island of Destiny. There you'll choose a vocation and a hometown.
Your choice of hometown isn't permanent and can easily be changed whenever you want to. All you have to do is go to the town and find the Portal of Citizenship. If you enter it, the town you are in will become your new hometown.
To send parcels and letters you had to know the hometown of the character who would receive the parcel/letter. This is not necessary anymore with the implementation of the global Inbox (during Updates/9.7).
Your hometown is listed on your character page on Tibia.com.
The first town you come to with every new character. After you have left Rookgaard and went to mainland there is no turning back unless you die or suicide down to level 5, which will reset your character's level to level 1. Here is a map of Rookgaard.
Free Account Towns
The home land of all dwarves that was began and formed by the enormous giants and cyclopses millions of years ago. Here is a map of Kazordoon. You cannot reach this city straight from Island of Destiny.
The land of busy government where King Tibianus lives. They see themselves as the capital of whole Tibia. Here is a map of Thais. Thais and Carlin have been known to have a long-time rivalry on most game worlds.
A town built on a swamp. This town is based on economy and sells many items, making it an ideal choice of living in. Before a certain update this was the most dangerous town of all because of the monsters that live near it. Many monsters were lured near the way to Venore, for example Giant Spiders, Dragons and other evil creatures. Here is a map of Venore.
Premium Account Towns
A big and peaceful island east of Tibia. Famous for their extraordinary magicians who work and experiment with spells in Noodles Academy of Modern Magic. Many unknown and dangerous creatures hide in the deep dungeons on this island! Here is a map of Edron.
A beach uninhabited by humans. Although not a conventional city, there is a depot, bank, temple and trade NPCs. Although you can access this area at level 8, it does not appeal to low levels due to the Hive and Deepling threat.
You cannot reach this city straight from Island of Destiny. Gray Beach is accessed by boat only.
During various Updates new towns were introduced to Tibia. A brief history is given here.
- Thais was the first town in Tibia, originally known as "Tibia City", and it existed in the original client versions prior to Updates/6.0. It had several structural updates in it's early years, growing from just a few buildings to a large city, as well as several graphical updates to revamp buildings during Updates/8.5.
- Rookgaard has been present since an early version prior to 6.0 and has been expanded and revamped many times.
- Carlin has been present since an early version prior to 6.0 and has been expanded and revamped many times, in particular Updates/8.5.
- Kazordoon was born in Updates/6.1, it was later revamped in Updates/8.2 (mostly graphical), the Colossus Fortress during Updates/8.7 and in Updates/9.8 with the addition of 4 Ore Wagons and a Magic Carpet, making it a lot more accessible.
- Ab'Dendriel was introduced in Updates/6.2, and graphically revamped during Updates/7.9.
- Edron was introduced directly with the premium accounts, during Updates/6.4, it was revamped during Updates/8.5.
- Darashia was added around Updates/7.0, it was later revamped during Updates/8.2.
- Venore was introduced during Updates/7.1, it got revamped during Updates/9.8.
- Ankrahmun was introduced in Updates/7.3, it was never revamped after its initial introduction.
- Port Hope was introduced in Updates/7.5, it was also never revamped.
- Liberty Bay was introduced in Updates/7.8, it was never revamped.
- Svargrond was introduced in Updates/8.0.
- Yalahar was introduced in Updates/8.4.
- Farmine was introduced in Updates/8.54.
- Gray Beach was introduced in Updates/9.4.
- Gnomegate was introduced in Updates/9.6, but it shares a depot with Kazordoon.